Most frequent questions and answers

Depends on why you are flying.  If you are flying for pure recreation and do not intend on being compensated for your work in any way, then you can fly under the Part 336 rules for model aircraft and do not need a license.  If you plan to fly for money either as part of your own business or working for someone else, then you must obtain a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate w/ sUAS rating from the FAA.

We work hard to ensure that our Part 107 Prep Course gives you everything you need to be successful on the FAA’s Aeronautical Knowledge Exam.  We believe that the videos, printed materials, quizzes, instructor help, and Study Guide (if properly utilized) will ensure you success.  However, as with any other endeavor, you will only get out what you put into the course.  We recommend that students take at least 2 weeks to complete the course and all associated study materials.  This will provide ample opportunity to properly digest the information, review the study guide, and ask any questions you might have.  This will ensure that students understand the concepts rather than just memorizing quiz answers.  While our practice exams are similar to the real thing, they are not questions from the actual exam.

While it is rare, if you successfully completed the course, reviewed the study guide, and scored an 85% or higher on the Final Exam and were still unsuccessful on the FAA Airman Knowledge Exam, Drone Academy will cover your $150 Exam Fee; just reach out to us.  We will schedule a brief call to discuss how the course could have been better and to provide you some guidance for any future attempts.  Once the call is complete, $150 will be refunded to whatever method of payment was used to purchase the course.

Any commercial use in connection with a business, including (but not limited to)

  • Selling photos or videos taken from a UAS
  • Using UAS to provide contract services, such as industrial equipment or factory inspection
  • Using UAS to provide professional services, such as security or telecommunications
  • Using UAS to monitor the progress of work your company is performing

This is a really common question and the answer may surprise you.  Yes, as long as the original intent of the flight was for recreational purposes only you may sell photos or videos collected incidental to that recreational flight.

With a Remote Pilot Certificate w/ sUAS Rating, you can fly any drone that weighs less than 55lb. on takeoff.  This includes almost all commercially available air-frames.

The flight restrictions for hobbyist and commercial pilots are similar but not identical. These are basic restrictions for both Section 336 (Hobby) and Part 107 (Commercial) Pilots.

  • Must fly under 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if flying at an altitude higher than 400 feet AGL, stay within 400 feet of a structure
  • Must keep the UAS in sight (i.e. visual line of sight), either by the remote pilot in command or a visual observer*
  • Must fly during daylight hours* or civil twilight hours (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must not fly over people*
  • Must not fly from a moving vehicle unless you are in a sparsely populated area*

*If you want to operate UAS for commercial purposes outside of these rules, you may apply for a certificate of waiver. The FAA will grant waivers if operation can be performed safely but may otherwise not be allowed under Part 107.

Yes! Whether hobbyist or commercial drone pilot, if your drone weighs more than .55lb (250g) and less than 55lb then you need to register it with the FAA.  It’s simple and only costs $5; you can register your drone here.

Yes. The FAA views any UAS (drone) operation that supports the functions of your business as a non-recreational use. In order to fly your UAS in this manner, you must follow the regulations set out under part 107. For more information, click here.

How long it takes for you to get your license depends on several factors such as previous aviation experience, time devoted to studying, etc.  However, most students can prepare for the exam, take the test, and have a (temporary) Remote Pilot Certificate within a month.